Friday 8 June 2012

My Girl (마이걸) [Drama Review]

Usually I tend to watch the latest dramas so I decided to watch an old school drama My Girl instead. OK, so My Girl (마이걸) aired in 2005 and it might not seem very 'old school' but after seeing their fashion sense in their drama, it definitely earns the 'old school' title.


The lead actess in this drama is Lee Da-hae (이다해) plays the role of Yoo-rin, a compulsive liar who finds herself pretending to be the long-lost cousin of Gong-chan, played by Lee Dong-wook (이동욱) in hopes of helping his grandfather recover from a terrible illness. Yorin and Gong-chan try their best to keep the lie a secret but it is not an easy lie to keep. But Gong-Chan's ex girlfriend, a professional tennis player Seo-hyun comes back to Korea and wants to get back with him and Gong-chan's cousin Jung Woo, Gong-chan's cousin, starts to like Yoo-rin which just makes the whole situation more complicated.

How will Yoo-rin and Gong-chan handle it? And what will happen as they begin to develop feelings for each other but have to act like cousins?



I won't spoil the drama for you but I'll tell you what I liked and disliked about the drama.

Liked:

  • It wasn't a typical Korean drama storyline. Yes, the lead guy is a über rich guy. But the general story line where they pretend to be cousins is different to other Korean dramas I've watched which is what I loved about the drama.
  • The random busts of comical scenes
  • Lee Dong-wook ;)

Didn't like:

  • Yoo-rin's excessive lying. There were points of the drama that I was just shouting 'just stop lying!' But that might just mean Lee Da-hae's acting is great and she plays the role really well.
Rating: 8.5/10

I'd definitely recommend this drama.

2 comments:

  1. I was in a dilemma whether to watch this or not. But after reading you guys review this drama and the point that Lee Dae Hee's character seems to be in constant need of lying, I don't think I'd be able to watch this after watching Miss Ripley. Ah, what's with liar and Lee Dae Hee actually? haha. anyways, thanks for reviewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEST KOREAN DRAMA ever. i am just new to KDRAMA..NO ACTRESS can come close LDH performance in MY GIRL. NONE!.

    ReplyDelete