Tuesday 24 April 2012

K-Pop Academy [Week 8]

The topic for this weeks class was traditional Korean music. Since we all love K-Pop, learning about the roots of Korean music gives us an insight into how K-Pop might have came about.  As we entered the lecture room there was a traditional Korean instrument in the middle of the room so I was intrigued to find out more.


First, we were given a lecture by Dr Keith Howard, a lecturer at SOAS university. He talked us through the change in Korean music over time. The oldest piece of Korean music was made in 1116 so listening to how the music evolved was great. Some of the instruments played in the earlier pieces actually reminded me of the Bangladeshi music.

After hearing samples of Korean music, we had the chance to hear it being played live by Jung JiEun. She played us 5 pieces: Sanjo, Shimhyangmu, Daraji variations, Arirang and Amazing Arace. She played the Gayageum so effortlessly and beautifully. It made me want to learn, even though I am awful at playing instruments.


During the second half of the lesson, we had the chance to play Korean instruments ourselves. Yay!
We were taught to play Sameulnori which is played using 4 different instruments: the Kkwanggwai, Ching, Changgo and the Puk. All these instruments together create a wonderful fusion of sounds. So the K-Pop Academy became the K-Pop orchestra as we were taught by Nami Morrisght how to play the instruments.



The Changgo
We were each asked which instrument we want to play and then shown how to play it properly.  Initially I was playing the Kkwaengari which was pretty simple to play. But I thought I'd be creative and switch to the Changgo. Then we had to play a simple song. Well I say simple, but I started to get a little confused with the rhythm after a while but I had a lot of fun.

K-Pop Academy students eager to play the instruments
Overall, it was another awesome day. I learnt a lot about Korean music and it was nice to hear someone play it live as well as learn a bit myself.


I complied bits of footage from this weeks class to give you guys a taster of what we get up to in class and during our breaks so check it out. ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment