Friday 18 May 2012

K-Pop Academy [Week 11 - Homework]

Seeing as we visited the British Museum this week, our homework was based about the National Treasures of Korea. There are so many beautiful historical sites I would love to visit in Korea but I focused on Korea's intangible heritage of humanity instead.

During my visit to Korea, I saw a spectacular Taekwondo performance. From then onwards I have been in awe with Korean martial arts which is why for this weeks homework I chose to do a promotional video for Taekkyeon (택견), a form of traditional Korean martial arts. 

Here is a video of Taekkyeon:


I tried to the mimic the style of the Infinity Chanllenge's Bibimbap promotional video too:



Although I attempted to imitate various moves from videos of Taekkyeon, I added my own moves which is why I called it 'Tam-kwondo'. Check out my video below:



Mandatory Homework

In addition to the video, this week we also had another piece of homework. We visited the British Museum for this weeks class and were told there were some errors in some of the description in the Korean room.

After class, a group of us K-Pop Academy students visited the Korean room again searching like crazy for the errors. We even attempted to speak Korean to Korean visitors to ask if they had realised any errors and they attempted to help us but had no luck too.

Therefore I decided to us my best friend Google. =)

It turns out that the birthplace of the Buddha was incorrectly noted to be in India, however, the British Museum have now corrected this information.

An iron statue of a Buddha in Korean room in the British Museum
Source: KCCUK
So how could the Korean room in the British Museum improve to promote Korea's cultural heritage more effectively?

1. More about Korean traditional music

Having learnt about how Korean music has evolved, it would have been nice to see artefacts of the early instruments used in Korea. The techniques used to make the instuments in the past and now may differ a lot. Therefore it would have been great if there was more information about traditional Korean music now that Korean music, especially K-Pop, is becoming more popular.


2. More about Korean art

Although there were numerous traditional Korean ceramics in the museum, personally I would have liked to see more traditional paintings and drawings. I am aware that there are some marvellous Korean folk paintings, such as the ones below, so I would have loved to see more in the Korean room.

Painting of Taekwondo
3. More about the Korean language

Having gained a better understanding of the birth of the Korean writing system, Hanguel, through the K-Pop Academy, it would be truly amazing if there were pieces of early documents written in Hanguel.

Overall, although there were many beautiful artefacts in the Korean room, in my opinions the room would better promote Korean culture if it provided more information on traditional Korean music, art and Hanguel.

No comments:

Post a Comment